1909 – The first bucket wagon was built and donated by George Mortimer and his father. Originally it had wooden spoke wheels and leather buckets. The wheels were later changed to have rubber on them so they could be pulled by a vehicle. Hose carts were also used for firefighting in the early times. One place known to have stored a cart was in the garage of the old hotel.
1910 – A small fire occurred in Johnson’s Pool Hall.
1913 – Warning from the fire department to residents: stop dumping ashes in the alleys as they are a fire hazard. This continued to be a problem for many years.
1921 – A hose cart (hanging in the current fire station) was purchased from the Greeley Fire Department for $75.
1933 – All fire hydrants and water and water lines freeze due to a cold winter.
1935 – Moffat hose purchased from Greeley for the fire department at a cost of $.55 per foot. 500 feet were purchased and an additional 250 feet of hose was purchased in August.
1941 – The E.T. Inderlied Building is declared a fire menace and nuisance to the town. McConnell paid the taxes and demolished the building.
1945 – Firehouse rent remained at $30/year
1947 – A fire truck was to be purchased from the War Surplus Assets Board for $1350
1950 – The fire department sponsored the town ice skating pond.
1952 – Two smoke masks are purchased for the fire department at a cost of $4.50 per mask.
1953 – Fire fighter’s insurance coverage cost $139.
1954 – The Platte Valley Fire Protection District was formed. According to the minutes taken at the first meeting, the board was comprised of Gilbert danley, Fred C. Herbst, George Jurgens, George Morgan, and Alfred Peters. The legal representative was S. Robert Houchins. The tax levee in October 1954 was 2.25 mills. It was also decided this year that the fire department will pay for its own insurance.
1955 – The first fire apparatus was a GMC truck ordered in 1954 and delivered in 1955. Following closely behind were the first rescue units, which were a converted bread truck and a converted Ford Hearse. The first fire station was built in 1955 and is located where the Kersey Library is now.
1956 – The fire department attends a contest in Ault and brings home numerous trophies.
1957 – No Parking signs were required in front of the fire station. The fire district furnished the signs and the town installed them.
1960 – In the mid 1960’s a dispute arose between the kersey Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad and the Platte Valley Fire Protection District and they separated, but both continued to provide protection.
1961 – The fire department struggled to survive due to political issues within the department. A joint meeting was held where it was decided the number of members living outside the city limits could not exceed 50% of the total membership. The Platte Valley Fire Protection District board will regulate the kersey Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad. The fire department was granted permission to move the fire alert siren from the water tower to the town hall.
1967 – The fire department purchases their own siren and wants to place it on the second level of the water tower. The town and fire department signals will have a different pitch.
1969 – Fire department funding is investigated. It is determined that the town cannot allocate any town money to the department in accordance with state laws. the Rescue Squad receives funds for a new ambulance from federal grant money if supported by the town. The town agrees and the ambulance is purchased. The fire department uses $6,000 for an ambulance, $500 for radio equipment, and $2,500 to go to the town municipal building.
1970 – After many meetings and deliberations were held, the KVFD&RS and PVFPD decided to join back together (early 70’s). The mid 70’s brought discussions and plans for a new station. The fire department and Town of Kersey contract to house fire apparatus and hold meetings at the municipal building at no cost.
1973 – The Greeley Fire Department would like to store a fire wagon in Kersey for safe keeping. However, ordinance would prohibit its removal from Kersey town limits.
1974 – The fire department purchases one acre in Sandy Knolls, but hoped to find a better location in town.
1975 – In October 1975, Mrs. Marvin (Sandy) Wakeman became the first woman to join the fire department.
1976 – Construction of the new fire station began. The plans and construction of the new fire station called for the sale of the old fire station to the Kersey Lumber Yard. The cost of the new fire station was greatly reduced by volunteers. By April 7th, 1977 there had been 1163 hours of donated labor on the new station.
1977 – The Kersey Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad starts Kersey Days.
1978 – The Platte valley Fire Protection District holds an open house at the new firestation on April 9th. The station had actually been occupied since August of 1977, but the interior finishing work was still being completed.
1979 – The Platte Valley Fire Protection District Board of Directors request that Kersey Police personnel do not respond to rescue calls unless proper protective clothing is worn. First Civil Defense Test in March. The Siren will sound from the water tower.
1991 – New Highway 34 completed (Highway 34 was originally built back in 1932).
1998 – Due to serious internal issues, the PVFPD Board of Directors adopt new Standard Operation Procedures and eliminate the Kersey Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad in its entirely. It was decided that the department will now operate solely as the Platte Valley Fire Protection District. New standards are implemented and new personnel are accepted and instated. Tender 3 is purchased from A&W Water.
2000 – Rescue 1 is refurbished by SVI Trucks in Loveland, CO.
2002 – Engine 2 is refurbished by SVI Trucks in Loveland, CO.
2004 – Mill Levy increase issue brought to voters. Additional revenue generated would be used to hire daytime personnel. The issue failed by 2 votes.
2005 – Tender 1 & 2 are sold. A new brush truck and tender are purchased (designated Brush 2 and Tender 1)
2006 – Hiring of the first career personnel. Fire Chief was hired in June and Training Officer was hired in July.
2007 – Engine One was purchased. Engine 1 is the first all new engine the district has purchased since 1979.
2008 – Hiring of the first career firefighters.
2009 – SAMS team was officially created following the purchase of a Toy Hauler from the Cockroft family along with new wetsuits and equipment for the newly trained Swiftwater 1 certified members. Personnel issues lead to the replacement of two career members.
2010 – Board approved the hiring of a fifth career firefighter, creating the 48-96 schedule for career staff and leading to guaranteed coverage of the district 24/7. The firefighter stipend program was created in appreciation to the dedicated members of the district. Due to projected drops in assessed valuation of the district, a Political Action Committee was formed to promote a Mill Levy increase which passed on the November ballot and approved an increase of 2.75 Mills which was the first voted Mill increase in over 50 years. Took delivery of a new brush truck (3731)
2011– The board approved the hiring of an additional three career firefighters bringing the total staff levels to nine career staff. New brush truck was delivered (3733) as the department looks to develop a wildland deployment team. Seven acres of land had been purchased for $340,000 and design of the new fire station was started and looking to be completed with construction by October 2012.
2012 – Construction began on the new station
2013 – New station completed and the department moved in January of 2013. Personnel moved from the apartment and house into the new facility. Included was sleeping quarters, new kitchen, conference room for briefings and board meetings, a community room with attached restrooms, kitchen, an A/V system so members of the district could have parties, meetings, and related events in a self-contained area. Also in the new station was an exercise/weight room, a basement equipped for an Emergency Operations Center, seven-bay garage, and plenty of storage.
2014 – Added two new apparatus: Engine 3 and Rescue 1 from Rosenbauer. Hiring of additional staff career and volunteer. Created an agreement with North Colorado Medical Center/Banner Ambulance to house an ambulance at the station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to be operated by Platte Valley Fire’s paramedic staff.
2015 – Changed from ‘volunteer’ to ‘reserve’ staffing, same requirements. Created an EMS reserve staff to help staff ambulance and give more options to oncoming staff for level of service involvement.